Sunday, November 12, 2006

Treading Water and Refusing to Drown!

In recent weeks I have been getting very discouraged with the number assignments that I have looming before me. There are only 4 weeks left in the semester before finals begin. (I actually thought there were 5 up until a moment ago when I looked at my calendar!!! Good Grief! It's worse than I thought!) The most suiting way to describe the way I have felt is drowning! I am currently working on approximately 5 different assignments at the same time. Three of these said assignments are due on Wednesday including a critical book review that I have found myself getting completely frustrated with. Every time I sit down to work on it I inevitably end up doing something else. In other words I have been procrastinating and getting no where fast! Finally I decided to start working on a different assignment for a while. Approaching a new task was much less frustrating than working on the one that I was getting no where with. And after working on something else for a while I was able to come back to the book review with fresh eyes. Soon enough though I found myself getting frustrated once again with it and looking for anything else to do but that. The feeling of getting nowhere has been overwhelming! I kept thinking that if I could just get through this book review that then I wouldn't feel like I was drowning in a sea of assignments with not even a glimpse of the shore in sight.

As I sit here tonight I still haven't finished said book review...grrr! But tonight I did finish a different assignment. I've been working on so much at once recently that I haven't actually finished anything for a number of weeks. Tonight the feeling of accomplishment that I had after finishing an assignment was incredibly satisfying and encouraging! Even though it is only one of MANY more, just being able to say that I have finished something makes the rest seem a little less daunting. After finishing that assignment tonight I went back to the ever frustrating book review and I actually think I have a chance of producing something worthwhile! It's as if I've been thrown a PFD to help keep me afloat!

These next four weeks are going to be crazy but as I am able to cross each assignment off of my list it will give me encouragement and drive to tackle the next one! This semester is not going to drown me! I'm treading water and I will make it through one stroke at a time!!!

2 comments:

asdfasdfasdf said...

You can do it. I know you can.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! You´re going to make it! keep pressing on!!!! And just look forward to your little Brazilian lembrança coming in December. ;) Oh Lord, I said bye to him last night and almost died. Aaaaah. :(