Sunday, March 11, 2007

Where I've Been



Looking at this map I think about what a big world we live in. But at the same time since I've started traveling a little bit it amazes me just how small the world is. I know it's kind of contradictory! Different countries are so different! (Wow what an epiphany Pamela, I know!) I am enthralled by the diversity that exists in this world. I mean there are the obvious things like language, skin colour, and history but also there are so many different nuances of culture. Culture is something that I find fascinating! I have been blessed with the opportunity to experience a few different ones and for that I am extremely grateful!!!

The places in red on this map represent the different countries that I have visited. Some visits had a much longer duration than others but I have special memories of each place. I'm going to list them in chronological order of the first time I ever went to that specific place.

1. Canada - Born and raised! Unfortunately I have not seen as much of Canada as I would like. If they only colored red the places in Canada that I have actually been then Canada would look a lot less red!

2. USA - The first time I ever crossed the Canada-US border I was in Grade 12 and I traveled down to Montana with Western's high school drama team, Sonseekers, that I was a part of. It was a most exciting experience for me as it was my first time ever outside of Canada. Since then I have traveled to a whole lot of different states but the same is true of the US as of Canada, if only those states I had visited were in red then the US would not be quite so red. (This is also true for the following countries on my list) Perhaps in the near future I'll have to post a North American map with States and Provinces that I've been too.

3. England - My first time here was in the summer of 2000 on my way to the next country on my list. I was there again on my way home and got to do a little bit of sightseeing in London. The next time was in 2001 on my way to countries number 5 and 6 on this list. That year some of us left early so that we could spend I think 5 days running around London and surrounding area...great memories!!!!

4. Ukraine - In the summer of 2000 I went on my first Let's Start Talking (LST)project. This trip was my first time overseas and my first time flying. I spent 6 weeks in Kiev. It was a great experience and it really opened my eyes up to the world.

5. Finland - During the summer of 2001 I participated in my second LST project (see #6). Finland was supposed to be a short stopover on our way there and an overnight stay on our way back. It ended up being an overnight on the way there even though we really didn't want it to be. What an adventure! I did get to see some of Helsinki which was fun!!

6. Estonia - This was the destination of my second LST project. Tons of amazing memories! I still keep in touch with a handful of people from here which makes me happy!

7. Brazil - This country became my home for two years. I think my heart still lives there even though I am back in Canada right now. My first year I went as an LST intern and then ended up staying for a second year. I could write for an eternity about this place and the people I love there! I was back last summer for three months and Lord willing I will be taking an LST team there this coming June...Less than 3 months from now! WooHoo!!!!

8. Argentina - I visited Argentina while I was living in Brazil. We took a trip to see Iguaçu Falls which borders Brazil and Argentina. We went into Argentina on two different days. Iguaçu Falls is hands down the most beautiful place I have ever been to!

9. Paraguay - This was also during my trip to Iguaçu Falls. Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil all meet at what is called the Três Fronteiras or Three Borders. It was our last day at Iguaçu and we went across the border to Paraguay to do some shopping. The bus never stopped at the border so there is no proof in my passport that I was ever there. It felt kinda sneaky at the time.

I'm excited to see what the next country on my list will be. I have a good idea of which it might be and that it could be added to the list within the next 5 or 6 months. I'm waiting to see whether God continues to open doors or not. I'll let you know when I know.

What countries have you been to and which are most precious to you? What are some cultural experiences that you have had? What are some favorite memories?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you go you travel buff you! I can't wait until my kidlets are a bit older so that we can begin our abroad (& w/in Canada) travels.

Anonymous said...

Oh, if you're looking to seperate up your provinces/states there are alternative maps you could use instead of just one big world map.

Diane said...

Okay Pamela I have read yours now you should see mine.
Diane