Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Road Up Ahead

This is a picture I took while I lived in Brazil. Salena and I were attending the annual missionary conference which was being held in a small city in the state of Rio de Janeiro. We took our car one afternoon and decided to go exploring with our friend Adrienne. We ended up on this road that led us out of town and into the middle of nowhere... a very beautiful nowhere I might add! The road was so narrow that we could not turn around u-turn style and so we had to keep driving until we found an approach on which we could make a 3-point turn and get going the way we had come from.

This photo has been on my computer's desktop for the last month or so. It reminds me of the journey that I am on. I am on a road and I'm not quite sure where it is going to end up on this side of heaven. Sometimes it is packed hard and is easy traveling. Other times the road is full of potholes that make for a difficult journey. The thing that is sometimes most disturbing about this road that I am on is that it is full of twists and turns that I can't see around. Sometimes I feel like I would like to turn around and go back the way that I came from but that is not an option on the road of life. The only direction there is for me to go is ahead, no matter how uncertain it may appear. Sometimes I would give just about anything to know what is around that upcoming bend before I get there. The only way for me to know is to just keep on traveling. I may not know what lies ahead but I eagerly continue traveling in anticipation of what I will find around the next corner. It is far from boring this road I am on! There is lots of beautiful scenery along the way and always a new adventure waiting around the corner. I can't help but wonder what I'm going to find up ahead in the next few months!

5 comments:

Monica said...

What a beautiful pic!

Don't you wish we had a map?

ann said...

The minute I saw that pic I knew it had to be Brazil, which both warmed my heart and gave it a pang of saudades (I know you know this all too well).

I love your words and your heart. I'm praying for you and you know that you don't go down the road alone! Thank God for the light for our feet which brightens just enough for the next step.

I love you!

armacleod said...

When I see that picture, it just makes me want to go there, to get away from this Canadian winter. It was starting to get nice and then it got windy...

Your words also remind me of the poem of footprints, but also of a chapel talk I gave back when I was at WCC. About driving a road with the Great Copilot.

ann said...

I forgot to mention I made this my desktop yesterday, too. Don't feel bad about not reaching me yesterday, I felt your love. :) I'll orkut you my new number.
bjao!

Unknown said...

That's such a beautiful image Pamela! You can just feel the humidity from the lush green. So can't wait until spring finally arrives here in Alberta.

Tracy