Thursday, March 15, 2007

Silkworm Pupa...Who Would Eat That????????


The other day I opened my kitchen cupboard to look for a can of soup and what should I see staring back at me but a can of Silkworm Pupa...You read it right folks, canned SILKWORM PUPA!!!! Right in front of the Cream of Mushroom Soup and the canned lentils. EEEEEWWWWW!!!!!

My roommate, Joyce just recently returned from a trip to South Korea to visit her sister. This lovely can of grossness came back with her in her suitcase. (Aren't there customs laws against that kind of thing??) Apparently she's saving them to share with her wall climbing buddies...I pity them, really I do!! Personally I don't even like the fact that they are in my cupboard...eeeww!!!!

I was so grossed out by the thought of eating one of these that I decided it was definitely post-worthy! I also decided to do a little research on these nasty looking things. Visit this link to see some cool pictures and read about the life cycle of the silkworm. I also discovered that silkworm pupa are apparently an excellent source of dietary protein...hmm, I can think of a million other ways to get my protein thanks! Apparently they are considered a nice snack in places like Korea...pass me a carrot stick! But interestingly enough, they are also used as fish food...I am not a fish!!!!

I also stumbled across a blog of some guy named Steve who is braver, or at least stupider than I am and actually ate one of these Silkworm Pupa. His silkworm pupa adventure is number nine in a series called "Steve, Don't Eat It." I warn you that he is a little crass but it is absolutely hilarious and in my opinion worth the read! There are also pictures of the contents of the can that is currently residing in my cupboard. Again I say, "EEEEEWWWWW!!!!" If you want some more laughter go ahead and read all nine of his nasty eating adventures. Some of them are even grosser than the Silkworm Pupa. Again I warn you that he is downright crude in some of them.

So even if I wanted to go wall climbing with Joyce and friends I'm going to be passing the next time they go because there is NO WAY that I would ever eat one of those things!!! I am interested to hear about what they think of them once they've tried them so maybe there will be a sequel to this post some day. So Nasty!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now that is really yucky. I know how sticky the normal tent catepillars cocoons are so I can only imagine what those of a silk moth would feel like. *Shivers* I'd hate to have the job of the person responcible for retrieving the pupas, touching the cocoons. Blegh.

Jackie said...

Hola, Pam. I found your blog!! No silkworm pupa for night lunch, I'm assuming. I agree, I think I'll pass on this one too.

Diane said...

Apparently I am one of the unfortunate people who are susposed to be eating that can of grossness. The only thing saving me is that I gave up meat for lent. I am so happy.