Sunday, December 02, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake!

In October Monica Taylor invited me to take a Wilton cake decorating class with her at Micheal's. Monica and I took Course 1 together. Course 1 is basically an introduction to cake decorating. I've decorated a number of cakes before and so I really didn't know what I would get out of the class. The long and the short of it is that I had a blast. I learned a lot of neat tricks and techniques for cake decorating. I also learned how to make roses which was probably the highlight for me. In course 1 we decorated 3 cakes, one per class minus the first class which was all demo. I only actually finished one of those cake for various reasons. It was the first one we did and was pretty basic using the star tip technique.

My only finished cake from Course 1.


My final cake from Course 1 that I never finished.

Then in November I took Course 2 by myself. Course 2 focuses on boarders and flowers. Each class in Course 2 was spent learning to make various flowers out of Royal Icing. I learned to make Rosebuds, Chrysanthemums, Apple Blossoms, Violets, Victorian Roses, Daisies, Daffodils, Pansies, and Primroses as well as how to do basket weave and rope borders. I think that I enjoyed Course 2 even more than Course 1 if that is possible. I learned so much in both classes and had a lot of fun doing it. At our last class we were to assemble our grand finale cake that incorporated all the techniques that we had learned throughout the course. My cake was assembled at home but I did finish it. I think it turned out pretty good. But really who wants to eat something that looks that pretty?



On Friday I made a birthday cake for Lisa. It was basically what my final cake from Course 1 would have looked like had I finished it but with the added touches of basket weave on the sides and a rope boarder.



Micheal's isn't offering Course 3, which is on fondant and tiered cakes, before I leave for India but I am taking a one day course on how to make roses from gum paste this upcoming Tuesday. Should be a good time. I'm not sure that I'll have reason or time to make and decorate any more cakes before I'm off to India in a little over a month but I hope to do lots more cakes in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your grand finale cake is absolutely gorgeous! You can make a cake for me anytime! :)

Monica said...

Yay!!! I love them!!! You're amazing!