Friday, July 06, 2007

Acampamento da Vitória, Camp Victory

Two years ago I went to my very first bilingual camp here in Brazil. It was put on cooperatively by a group of Americans from the Highland Church of Christ in Abilene, Texas and a group of Brazilians from the Church of Christ here in Itu. Last summer while I was here in Itu I got to go to another bilingual camp again put on by people from Abilene and from Brazil. Both of those years I acted as a leader and translator for my small group. This summer a group from San Angelo, Texas came to Itu to help put on the bilingual camp. Lucas and Katie and I were not able to participate in the entire camp but we chose to spend our days off from reading sessions out at camp. We went out with the group Sunday afternoon after morning worship and stayed until bright and early Wednesday morning. Anyone who has ever participated in any kind of summer camp knows that every year is different. This year was no exception. This years camp was especially different from previous years because it was put on by a completely different group of people. Lucas and Katie and I all really enjoyed camp a lot. Katie emphasized to me that it was so nice to get away from Itu and our regular daily schedules to a place with such beautiful surroundings where we were doing something completely different for a change. Lucas shared with me that he loved the fact that while we were at camp he felt as if we weren't separated by nationalities or language barriers and that everyone seemed to be on an even playing field.

Two of my LST readers, Camila and Ana Carolina, came to camp. They brought their friend Ana Carolina with them... And no that is not a mistake, they both have the exact same name. One of my favorite things about the bilingual camp here in Brazil is that it is so evangelistic. It is great to see Christians and non-christians coming together and learning about and experiencing God's love for them. This year was no exception and I was especially thankful that Camila and both Ana Carolina's were able to be a part of it. Camp has opened up entirely new areas of conversation between Camila, Ana Carolina and myself.

I'm a firm believer that pictures speak louder than words so I'm going to share with you some of my favorites from our short time at camp.

Ivan and Marusia getting ready to serve supper.


Jessica, Jandira, me (Go Riders), Soraya, Mel,
Iara, Marusia and Bruna.


Watching the soccer game.


Paul translating for Kevin.


Me, Jessica, Katie and Miriam.


Me and Soraya


Jessica, Soraya,
Rebecca, Katie, Miriam, me and Marusia.


Everyone trying to pop everyone else's balloons without getting their own popped...good times!


An interesting new game that I don't know the name of.


Lucas and Josh finger jousting.


The aftermath of the finger jousting.


Brooke, Katie and Vitinho enjoying some delicious watermelon.


Me and Iara dressed for the Festa Junina


The ladies all dressed up for the Festa Junina.


Me and Antenor


My readers, Ana Carolina and Camila dancing at the Festa Junina night.


Photos don't do justice to the beauty of God's creation. The campground we rent from the Presbyterian church is simply breathtaking!

2 comments:

ann said...

Nossa senhora, estou morrendo de saudades agora... que fotos lindas!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

I just got your LST postcard today.
Thanks! Glad things are going well for you, and I'm very impressed that you've gotten good enough at Portuguese to be a translator now. God bless.