Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pedreira

I have known Mauricio for about four years. He was my reader for 2 years when I lived in Itu. He signed up to read with me again this time but it never really worked out with his work and college schedules. We have hung out quit a bit though and I know that he has really enjoyed getting to know Lucas and Katie and I've enjoyed spending time with my old friend. Monday this week was a holiday in São Paulo and so Mauricio didn't have to work. He and his sister, Paula, took Katie, Lucas, Vitinho and I to a place called Pedreira. Literally that means rock quarry and that is exactly what it was. As they were digging in this quarry they must have hit some kind of underground river because the pit began to fill up. Apparently its deepest point is 80 meters. Now people like to go there to jump off the cliffs and swim. I think everyone had a really great time. I know I did, even if it took me about 30 minutes to work up enough courage to actually make the jump. I have this nasty fear of heights and it was only when I finally quit thinking about it that I was able to jump.

Here is Lucas getting reading to jump.


Paula and Vitinho swimming in the cold water.


It was a very beautiful place.


Another shot of the great scenery.


The following is a video of Mau, Lucas and Katie jumping off the cliff at Pedreira.




This video is Vitinho jumping off. It was more of a stepping off rather than a jumping off but I was proud of him because I didn't think he would actually do it. It took me longer to get up the courage than it did for him.




This video is of Lucas doing a flip.




This one is of Mauricio doing a back flip...more courageous than me that's for sure!




And this one is of Lucas jumping from a much higher point than the rest of us jumped. Mau also jumped from a high place like this but I didn't get a video.

No comments: