Friday, January 11, 2008

Hong Kong, Day 1

So I think that this, even though it was only the first leg of our journey, was by far the longest I trip I've ever been on. I left my house in Saskatoon at 5:30am on Wednesday morning. I arrived in Hong Kong at 9:30am Friday morning (7:30pm Thursday Saskatoon time). Taking the difference in time zones into consideration I was traveling for a grand total of 38 hours. ugh!

This was taken at about 2am while we were still waiting for our plane to start boarding...When it finally did it was only 11 hours behind schedule. :)


This was the route that we flew. These little screens make the time seem to pass even slower!


When we got to Hong Kong the first people that I spoke to were actually a couple of Brazilians from Porto Alegre. It made me super happy to speak Portuguese for a few minutes. Harmony was working when we finally arrived in Hong Kong so a couple of friends of hers met us at the airport. They put us on a bus and told the bus driver where we needed to get off. It was a double decker. I hit my head when I went to sit down on the second level. When I looked up to see where I'd hit it this is what I saw...

Raysha and the kids and I had a good laugh!


Crossing a bridge.


Raysha and Andrew on the bus.


Autumn and I on the bus.


On the way to Harmony's school.

A co-worker of Harmony's met us at the bus stop and led us (with all 12 of our suitcases and 6 carry-ons) to the school where she teaches. It was fun to watch Harmony and her family reunite.





We visited with Harmony's class and they asked her family all kinds of questions about when Harmony was younger. Then over her lunch break she took us back to her apartment. I'm actually staying with her co-worker, Lynn. I took a nice nap before we headed out for supper. We had some amazing Thai food. Sooo good! They brought us forks but I didn't have to use mine which made me happy!

First HK meal, Thai food.

Andrew was soooo tired! After supper Ray, Ellen and Andrew went back to Harmony's to sleep. Harmony took Raysha, Autumn and I to a place called Mong Kok. Apparently it is the most densely populated square kilometre in the world! We walked through a market and we drank bubble tea. It was definitely a good time! I've only been here for a day but this Saskatchewan farm girl is digging Hong Kong! It surprises me actually because I'm not a fan of big cities. I hate São Paulo and I thought I would have similar feelings towards Hong Kong. I've been pleasantly surprised!


Mong Kok, lots of people!


Mong Kok, lots and lots of people!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pics and glad you are having a wonderful time....
Sharon

Anonymous said...

oh fiddle, gosh darn, i wish i could go to hong kong....lucky

Trail Rider said...

you are such a busy girl! that's so awesome how you are round the world!