Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hong Kong, Day 3

This morning we went to church with Harmony at an International church. We arrived late, unfortunately missing the worship portion of the service. The service was very similar to what you would find if you walked into a church in North America. In a way I was kind of disappointed because I would have enjoyed experiencing local worship. Ironically this was the congregations Mission Sunday where they were encouraging their members to get involved in missions. It was moving to listen to some of the local people share the experiences that they have had with short term missions and it was inspiring to watch as they encouraged their body of believers to get involved. I couldn’t help but be impressed with the number of missions opportunities that were being placed before the members. There were twenty-five (if I remember correctly) short term mission projects occurring over the course of the year in a number of different countries. A highlight of the service was when a group of African men from three different African countries were called upon to share with us the way in which they worship God. It was a powerful thing to watch. Their singing, dancing and drumming was very different from our North American style of worship. Especially different from what those from the Church of Christ are accustomed to. I readily admit that I am among the more liberal of Church of Christers. In my study of scripture I have yet to be convinced that instrumental worship is wrong and I am quite comfortable worshipping in settings where musical instruments are used. As I sat during service today I couldn’t help but question where we get the idea that it’s ok to tell others that their “style” of worship is wrong. It reminded me of when the disciples told someone to stop casting out demons in Jesus name because he wasn’t a part of their group. Jesus told them plain and simple that they should not stop him. He continues to say, “No one who performs a miracle in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me. Anyone who is not against us is for us. If anyone gives you even a cup of water because you belong to the Messiah, I tell you the truth, that person will surely be rewarded” (Mark 9:38-41) The man casting out demons was not in the select group that was with Jesus but what he did he did in Jesus name. There are many people of many denominations who do what they do in Jesus name. I think that when we judge the ways in which other believers worship that Jesus would have a similar response to us, anyone who is not against us is for us! As the preacher got up after the African men left the stage he reiterated some of the thoughts that I had been having. He commented that the African dancing was different from what their congregation was used to and that many people have different ways of worshipping. He said that we all have relationships with God that are similar but different. That phrase stuck with me. He talked about how we tend to want to look out for number one and often end up worshipping ourselves. Missions is the opposite of that, missions is acknowledging that is not about me. I think that when we acknowledge that it is not about me that it becomes easier to accept other people’s styles of worship. It is not about what I am used to and what makes me comfortable. It’s about Christ and giving Him the glory! He preached from I Corinthians 16 and II Corinthians 8. He talked about how God gives us resources so that we will use them to help others to know Christ. He encouraged us to get out of our comfort zones so that the gospel can permeate this world. Everything he said seemed so appropriate as we are on our way to India, a place that I am sure will be out of my comfort zone. I couldn’t help but be impressed with the mission mindedness of this congregation. The preacher talked about the 10/40 window and what a unique opportunity they have as a congregation to be living within that window. I came away from that service being very encouraged.


After service we went out for lunch with an Australian family that Harmony knows from her church. We ate dim sum, it was quite the experience. All of the food is steamed in bamboo. I tried everything, even the stuff that had shrimp in it. I must have been feeling adventurous because I even ate one of the little dried fish with eyeballs! I didn’t have a second one though.



After lunch Harmony took us on a boat ride across the harbour. We walked the Avenue of stars. I didn’t recognize many names but I was pretty pumped to see Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. Oh the fun!





We went back to Mong Kok to make a few purchases and had some bubble tea along the way. I actually had a mango drink with it little floaty jubies in it, that is about the only way I know to describe it. Harmony said that the jubies were a type of plant. Whatever it was the combination of it was pretty yummy!


Harmony then took us to one of her preferred Chinese restaurants. I sort of felt like I was eating in the kitchen, especially when Ellen had to lean forward so that the lady could get some drinks out of the fridge. The lady that served us was the cutest, most adorable little lady I have ever met! She made me laugh the entire time we were there. I don’t know what her name was but I call her Winifred because when she offered us vinegar she said “winegar.” It had me giggling for quite some time. She was very gracious and posed for a number of photos after we had eaten.



After our meal of the best Chinese food I have ever eaten Harmony, Ellen and Ray all had reflexology massages done on their feet. Because I’ve been dealing with some pretty nasty back issues which has been aggravated by all the traveling we’ve been doing I opted for the body massage. If I wasn’t already in pain the massage may have only been somewhat painful, but instead it was pretty excruciating. Andrew couldn’t stop talking about how my ankles cracked when she stretched my legs up to my back…Getting the whole Hong Kong experience was an interesting one to say the least!


No comments: