Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wednesday, January 16th

So I’m thinking that I could be writing a lot of blog posts prior to actually being able to post them. Right now I am laying on my bed in the Baptist Mission Compound in the city of Guwahati. We arrived in Guwahati this afternoon, an entire week after we left Canada.

In one of my last blog entries (that has yet to even be posted when I am writing this one) I mentioned the sights and sounds of Calcutta and I’m sure that some of you are wondering about how I’ve dealt with that other sense, the smell of Calcutta. Something I have always heard about Calcutta was that it stinks. Everyone I spoke to before coming warned me about the smell, not only of Calcutta but of Guwahati as well. The question that has been in my mind for some time now has been if the smell of Calcutta would be worse than the smell of the Tiete River in São Paulo. I can’t even imagine anything worse than the Tiete River so I was expecting the smell to be at least equal to that of the River in São Paulo. I have to say that I was really surprised by the lack of smell in Calcutta. Not to say that it doesn’t smell different than home, because it does but in comparison to the stench that is the Tiete River walking the streets of Calcutta is like taking a walk in a rose garden. I am pleased to say that Guwahati is no different. I don’t think I’ll have any problem with the smell here.

Raysha and I are sharing a room here at the Baptist Mission Compound in what is called the Baptist Guest House. This room has offered me my first official squatty potty experience. I don’t think it would be too bad except for the fact that my back is so sore which makes the squatty potty experience a little more complicated.



This floor of the guest house also has no hot water. Apparently tomorrow they are moving us up a floor to a room with a hot water heater and a Western style toilet. Both of which I won’t turn down. Each of the beds comes equipped with mosquito netting which I am thankful for considering there are a lot of the little beasts buzzing around.


There are a few, and by few I mean at least a million crows that are living right outside the windows. I wondered out loud to Raysha earlier if she thought that they would sleep at night. I am glad to report that they do. I am pretty sure that they will be awake before I am ready to be though! If it wasn’t for the sign that is posted saying that killing of birds in the compound is strictly prohibited then I would probably be picking them off one by one.

We went for a walk with Ellen and the kids to explore a little bit. I don’t think that I have ever felt as foreign as I do here. I’ve been stared at in other countries but it doesn’t even begin to compare to how I’ve been stared at here. I can follow almost every person’s gaze as it goes up and down taking in every white inch of me. And I have a whole lot more inches to take in than any Indian person. I feel a little like a white giant in this place. Indians are a lot shorter than I am, especially the women!



There seems to be quite a bit of police presence in the streets. At first they were a little intimidating with their big guns but they basically just stare at us like everyone else does as we walk by and don’t seem to care that we’re here otherwise. I guess that’s a good thing. Apparently they are here trying to prevent any unrest on Republic day which is coming up on the 26th.

We had a little treat at Baskin Robins. I never imagined finding that here. So far it is the only American chain I have seen here.


I have a thing for cool trees. This one was especially fun.

No comments: