Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Afternoon Hail

Normally on Tuesday mornings we go out to Kalapani to teach. Apparently the "underground" or terrorists threatened that they were going to do something today so we were told to stay home. So we had school with Autumn and Andrew in the morning and then we had the afternoon off to relax. We couldn't go anywhere to do anything but it was really quite nice to just stick around the house. At about 2pm we started to hear thunder so we ran upstairs to the roof to take all the laundry off the line. We got it done just in time. It started to rain pretty hard and before I knew it there was hail. I really enjoy thunderstorms and so I went out on the landing area and watched it come down. There were pea size hailstones that landed on the landing. After it stopped Autumn and I went down to the lawn and picked up a few of the hailstones. They were pretty big. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be without shelter when they were coming down!

This is looking out from the landing. Look at all the white hail on the lawn.


Here are some of what Autumn and I collected.


I think these may be the largest hailstones I have ever experienced.

4 comments:

Ian said...

I've seen hailstones as large as baseballs in Saskatchewan.

Heather said...

Wow - is that normal for it to hail in India or is this like some fluke event???

Pamela said...

I'm not really sure how common it is but Ellen says that it's the first time she's seen hail here. I've heard lots of stories about crazy large hail back home but I think the biggest I've ever seen there was between pea and marble size.

Anonymous said...

Well Pamela just another experience to add to your book of adventures.. Glad you had an enjoyable day at home.. Take Care.
Sharon