Saturday, March 08, 2008

At War...

with the ants!!!!

I'm beginning to think it's a losing battle. They are everywhere and they get into everything! A sealed bag of sugar, full of ants. A closed jar of almonds, being feasted upon. A loaf of banana bread, infested. They are tiny little things but they are vicious! They not only like to snack on any kind of food that happens to be in our house but they also like to snack on me! I was trying to rid a jar of them the other night and somehow one managed to bite the inside of my elbow three times before I squashed him. I think the ant bites are worse than the mosquito bites. I even found one crawling around inside my shirt yesterday! That little guy had definitely crossed the line of acceptable behavior and he has already payed the price for his sin! Last night Andrew called us all into his grandparent's bathroom to witness this...

I had to take it an angle to try and get the entire line in the photo and still it was impossible.


If you click to see the larger version you can get a better view.

There were A LOT of ants in that line. They were carrying something out of the windowsill above the toilet and up the wall into a hole in the ceiling above the other window. I have no idea what it was. Ellen gave them a good dose of anti-bug spray, which works equally well with other unwanted biters such as mosquitoes. So that nasty line is no more, which is not to say that it won't return later though. I'm sure that knocking out thousands of the nasty things will have made not even the smallest of dents in their population. Really what is one to do??? If I were in Canada, I would probably call an exterminator. In India, I'm not so sure what to do except learn to live with them... I guess we can get along as long as they stay out of my shirt!

1 comment:

Tim said...

You know there is a simple way to avoid this problem right? Just move somewhere colder! Not many ants here - they don't like the snow I guess...